Sunday, June 1, 2014

When God calls you to be with Him, you get up...

Hello all! I'm currently experiencing insomnia, and all I can think about is the sermon by Chris Bogstad, our youth pastor. Like most sermons from the elders of Bible Church, it was extremely good. I can't help but feel something more about it than just "good" though. Once again, it's sticking with me, and I should just share it. Here it goes.

Bogstad decided to make today's message about busyness focusing on the story of Mary and Martha from Luke 10: 38-42. For background and content purposes, let's do a short overview of what happens.

Jesus travels to a village where there are two women, Martha and Mary. Martha gets the honor of having THE Jesus Christ in her home. Remember, this is the man who has performed so many wonderful miracles as well as teaches these amazing things, and His name causes a stir. Martha has a lot on her plate to serve this man especially in a culture (and it's still true to today) where hospitality is important and is one of the key services a woman performs.

So, there's Martha bustling around to gather all the preparations and serving. Luke 10:40 says that she was much distracted. Of course, she must have felt a lot of pressure along with anxiety.

Then there's Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus perfectly content just listening and soaking every word up. This is a weird scene. Normally, the women weren't sitting with the men learning. Mary typically would have been running around with Martha. In Mark's version, we find out that she even took an expensive oil to use on Jesus' feet, an act of worship.

Finally, Martha has enough of it. She approaches Jesus and accuses Him of not caring that she does all the work. Then she commands the Lord to make Mary get up and help her. Bogstad comments that this must have made the room go silent and VERY awkward.

Jesus rebukes Martha, and I agree with Bogstad that it wasn't a soft, gentle correction. He uses her name twice. Not to mention, she was very distracted to begin with, and it probably wasn't easy to grab her attention. I could imagine Jesus getting slightly loud and urgent with Martha.

He told her that she was worried and troubled about things,  yet only one thing was needed. Mary had chosen the good thing, which was Jesus.

I won't share all my notes, but I will share the bits that keep standing out in my mind.

Jesus doesn't always want us to act on our culture but to focus on him.

Martha was concerned with the principle of hospitality, which her culture put high expectations on. In our culture, working hard and bringing in the big bucks is a great deal of importance.

I kept thinking of when I got my second job with Dunkin Donuts that I had actually considered getting a third job to take up the hours I'd get off there and wasn't going straight to Hobby Lobby. Of course, Brian discouraged me from that. There just wasn't enough time for me to do that.

I wanted us to be ahead though! I wanted to get things done and paid in a fashion that I'd prefer. I'm sure you see the problem in this.

The more time I focused on the money I was making and the goals I had the more I wasn't focusing or depending on God. He wasn't my main priority. I thought He still was, but I was mistaken.

Even now with a full time position, I have to be careful. I want to be a great worker and to be able to do all that my higher-ups need from me, but I cannot sacrifice my relationship with God.

There should be care for things to get done but not anxiety.

I relate this to bills, pet care, and housework. I have always been a person who loves to plan things minute by minute. When I was in school, the night before class I planned in my head over and over how I was going to wake up and get ready.

First, I'll turn off my alarm. Then I'll grab my towels. Wait, will I want to make my bed first? No, no, go take a shower first. I'll wash my hair for sure...will I need to shave? Well, what will I be wearing? Pants? Okay, no shaving. 

See the craziness? I go to that extent anymore, but I do plan my day. Get up, go to work, then the house-chore list. Getting all the housework done in a day is exhausting and impossible.

Only God can finish His list in a day. Yes, I want things to get done. Does it HAVE to be done by 4:00 PM (I get off at 3:30) tomorrow? No and I don't have to worry about it.

Why do I do what I do? 

Oh, this question...Why do I put up with all this junk at work? All these mean customers? Why do I come home and clean all these stupid messes ALL the time? Why do we have to get up at 7:30 in the morning for bible study classes? Why, why, why. 

Well, it is a part of the burden I carry. I do have to work, but I work for God. I get up and face the world for God. I clean and serve my household for God. I go to the bible study for God.

It is a burden, but it's for a glorious reason.

Our primary assignment is to be a disciple of God. Am I being faithful to what God wants me to do? 

I must value my relationship with God above all else. My work and servitude must reflect that.

I just looked at my time, and I have to be up in about five hours. The moments to reflect on God's word are worth the cost of sleep. I hope I didn't bore you with my sleep deprived ramblings. Sweet dreams!

3 comments:

  1. you took good notes on the sermon...and you are growing...when we follow God's plan for our lives...He will give us the energy to do what He wants us to do...we just have to remember to put Him first...
    I enjoyed your notes, and we pray for you and Bri every day that God will lead you where He wants you to be...and help you to do what He wants you to do...
    Love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your notes and thoughts - I definitely struggle with being a Martha rather than a Mary, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your feedback and encouragement! xoxo

    ReplyDelete