Thursday, May 29, 2014

Guard Flowers

"Guard Flowers"
Written by Reggie Deputy 

Pink, white, yellow, purple, and green.
Memories of my most cherished moments out to be seen.
I gaze up upon them fondly and proudly.
Remembering the young girl who wanted them so badly.
Each flower representing all the sweat, tears, and stubbed fingers.
Their petals counting how many times we felt like winners. 
Our small collection of bouquets together make the garden we all share.
Our bond that was forever strong and nothing could make it tear.
Pink, white, yellow, purple, and green.
The colors of my joy out to be seen. 

I wrote this poem on August 5th, 2012, at ten in the evening. By the way, I don't have that great of a memory. I made a note of it at the end of the page. I thought about it, and remembering how proud I was of it I decided to share it. 

I'm sure many of you already know that I did winterguard/colorguard from eighth grade and all through high school. It was the best thing about high school for me. Period. It made me confident, taught me the value of hard work, allowed me to be strong yet beautiful, it expressed my artistic side, and I had something to look forward to each day. 

At the end of each season, my instructor always had a little bouquet of fake flowers for each of us. They were always the color of either our costumes or our flags for that show. I still have every flower I've ever gotten (fun fact: For my sophomore colorguard show, we got wooden yellow roses with our bouquets. So cool! ) I look at them fondly from time to time just taking in what they represent and the stories I'll have to tell my young 'uns. 

I hope you enjoyed it! 

2 comments:

  1. I love your poem and the explanation! Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your poem, and I'm glad you included purple (my favorite color). I would imagine that the color guard would teach you discipline and determination.. making the sweat , tears, and stubbed fingers well worth the effort...
    keep posting your writings...I enjoy getting to know you a little better,
    Love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete